Sunday, January 27, 2013

Limiting God

Some devoted Christians have a hard time handling or believing the fact that I was healed. Or that anyone they know will be healed of something huge. My faith is so much bigger, stronger, and more fulfilling now that I know I've been healed. It is the biggest blessing that could have come out of cancer. I hate the idea that others can't get into that mindset. It changes everything. I know it can be scary to believe in miracles like that, because they don't always happen. And there's no earthly way of us knowing which prayers really will and will not occur. But for me it's worth the risk. Life is so much better on this side.

It's normal to be scared to pray for these miracles, or to explain them away. I was scared to believe I would be healed, because if I was wrong my kids wouldn't understand. Maybe other devoted Christians feel the same now. If I keel over tomorrow, did they lead their sheep astray by having rejoiced that God had healed me? Or, if they dare to believe I was healed how do they explain why their wife's best friend wasn't healed? Finally, if I can be healed because I prayed and believed God, how does that change the way they view and pray to Jesus?

I understand fear. We are told time and again not to worry behave out of fear for a reason--it's everywhere. Our society teaches us to be cautious. Our experiences ensure that we will be disappointed if we let our guards down, so we protect ourselves. And our memories repeat the stories we've seen and heard about others being let down. 

The thing is, if you can't believe God healed me (just for example, this issue is not literally about me), how can you believe He answers other prayers? Do you set guidelines on how much to ask God for? Like, "Take my sore throat away for long enough to do this presentation", but never, "Lord, I believe you have removed the inoperable tumor from this woman's brain". I think that happens but it shouldn't. A good example is when Abraham walked with God and they spoke about Sodom, he asked boldly for more and more grace regarding His destruction of the city and the people in it (Genesis 18).

If we are going to limit God by what we believe He will do, what kind of faith have we developed? That takes the living trinity out of the mix and basically makes us the god. It turns us into being "spiritual, not religious" like so many lost souls. That is an easier way to live but that doesn't make it right. People might think it helps them avoid disappointment but it actually leads to destruction instead.

Christians are called to pray to Jesus, who intercedes for us. How egotistical of us to limit what we ask Him, what we expect of Him, to piddly little things that could happen by coincidence. How sad it is for our children to learn to word their prayers out of fear of disappointment rather than true faith. The Bible tells stories of suffering, but that doesn't make it the theme of the book. Our duties in this life are to grow closer to God and help others to do the same.

So, in this world where people without faith are empowered to do pretty much anything their hearts desire, I think we should feel empowered too. Not as individuals but as children of Christ. The Lord empowered us all to pray boldly, stand firm in faith and to be courageous. The great commandment tells us to love the Lord with all our heart and mind. We can't love and glorify Him if we're limiting Him with our own expectations (Mth 22:36-37).

1 Corinthians 16:13 Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong.
2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
Hebrews 4:16 So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.
Matthew 7:7 "Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment