Thursday, March 3, 2022

Chemo 1

Our hearts are full by all the offers of help, prayer and love! Everyone should go through hardships once in awhile to experience the blessing of loved ones reaching out, it's really encouraging!

The truth is that at the beginning we felt like it was Teddy, not cancer or chemo, that was making this season so hard. If you've missed it, we adopted Teddy a few years ago. He has developmental disabilities and is a really hard kiddo to raise. Although I have tons of experience with kids with disabilities, it's that more than the adoption part of having him that's so hard. He gets tons of therapy, but still the frequency and magnitude of tantrums and whining makes it hard to get through some days. I'm not sharing this to bash him, I just want to be real to remind other parents of kids with special needs that they aren't alone. I think it's hard to relate if all your kids are "normal".

Anyway, after a lot of prayer I'm happy to report that Teddy has been behaving better, and my heart is also responding to him in a more loving manner (which in turn surely helps his behavior!). So, thanks be to God for that massive improvement. The house and car are much more peaceful without someone screaming at us all day.

Unfortunately, Yaacov's response to chemo has not been as positive an experience. He had his first round on Monday, and felt pretty good that day. Even though he started turning yellow in the evening, we weren't too worried. But it's gotten worse each day, and he even had to cancel a class today. He's been very concerned about having to do that, so he didn't take the decision lightly. He's extremely nauseas, has GI issues, is exhausted, and has already lost his sense of taste. I didn't lose my taste until the very end of chemo, and I remember that was the first time I really considered quitting. So for him to lose it so quickly makes me a little nervous. But the Lord is in control of every side effect of this treatment! If you're praying, however, please pray for a total recovery from the current issues, and for peace, health and comfort. I'm also thinking of calling Dr. Rassam today for more help, but I'm not really sure what to ask. The Lord is Yaacov's perfect advocate, so I know if He wants to use me to obtain more help, He will do so!

Highlights of this season so far: 

*Yaacov coming out of anesthesia singing a ballad version of a Snoop song. He slowly covered his lips and whispered, "swear word", to replace inappropriate lyrics. Don't worry, I was able to record it!

*Several people have shared stories of how the Lord always shows up exactly when we need Him. His timing is perfect, and He is faithful to encourage us with such memories.

*I'm learning how awful it is to watch someone suffer, and he is physically suffering much more than ever before. This will help us both with future ministry opportunities, and it's also bringing us closer.

*Anytime we get to go through hard things, we are more aware of the Lord and His presence and promises. He doesn't leave us alone and will never forsake us! "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."--Isaiah 41:10


No comments:

Post a Comment